“Inuyashiki” is a Japanese science fiction anime film released in 2018, directed by Shinsuke Sato and based on the manga of the same name by Hiroya Oku. Here’s a brief review:
Plot: The story revolves around Inuyashiki Ichiro, an elderly man with a mundane life who, after a tragic event, is transformed into a powerful, mechanical being with incredible abilities. Alongside him, there is another person, Shishigami Hiro, a high school student who also gains similar powers but chooses a darker path. The narrative explores their contrasting choices in using their newfound abilities.
- Unique Premise: “Inuyashiki” offers a fresh and unique take on the superhero genre, blending science fiction elements with human drama.
- Character Development: The film delves into the personal struggles and growth of its main characters, particularly Inuyashiki and Shishigami. It explores the impact of their powers on their lives and relationships.
- Animation Quality: The animation quality is generally high, especially during action sequences where the use of CGI enhances the visual experience.
- Pacing Issues: Some viewers find the pacing to be inconsistent, with moments of intense action followed by slower, more contemplative scenes. This might affect the overall flow of the narrative.
- Complex Themes: The film touches on complex moral and philosophical themes, which might be challenging for some viewers to fully grasp or appreciate.
Overall Impression: “Inuyashiki” is a thought-provoking and visually engaging anime film that stands out for its unique premise and character-driven narrative. While it may have pacing issues and delve into complex themes, its strengths in character development and animation quality make it a compelling watch for fans of science fiction and superhero stories.